Saturday, July 14, 2007

No more double distortion with MMP

Many people may rightly cite the distortions that happen under our current voting system. Chief amongst them is that a party can receive say 37% of the vote, take 60% of the seats and hold 100% of the power. Yet what is less pondered is the distortion that occurs through the so-called "strategic vote" which first-past-the-post (FPTP) encourages. Ergo, FPTP offers a distortion of a distortion. The mixed-member proportion vote (MMP) would address this double distortion.

For example, say I'm a supporter of the Apple Party but they have no chance of winning in my riding because it is a stronghold of the Banana Party. Yet the only party which has a chance of beating the Banana Party candidate is the Coconut Party. Under FPTP I would be encouraged to vote for the Coconut Party candidate and abandon my prefered choice. All of this would change under MMP.

On my first vote I could feel comfortable voting for my favoured Apple Party if I so desired. But where I could have real satisfaction is on the second vote where my party vote, or list vote, would give a voice to the party I want to see in government. So MMP would address these two distortions and bring a true reflection not only of a party's support but go a long way in capturing the public's true political will by eliminating the need to vote strategically.

No comments: