Saturday, July 21, 2007

Can you handle the enormous and crushing pressure?


Above is a sample ballot for MMP (Mixed-Member Proportional vote). This particular one is used in New Zealand.

The column on the left is where you select your choice of party (only parties are listed there). These votes will be used to determine proportionality and to select the list candidates. The list candidates will be published before the election. The column on the right is identical to the ballot we have in our current system (that's why you see candidate names there).

One criticism levelled at MMP is that it is difficult to understand. Well, I guess anything is going to be more challenging than putting one X beside someone's name which is what we currently do. This is of course much more complicated . . . we have to mark two Xs . . . Can you handle the enormous and crushing pressure?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Oh, dear. Oh, dear, I don't think I can handle this at all. TWO X's? I have to vote for both the local candidate of my choice *AND* the party of my choice? I-I-I feel faint . . . choking sensation . . . aggghhh!!! I don't think my poor little Ontarian brain can handle such a *confusing* notion!!!